Maintenance Quick Fixes
Please browse our Quick Fixes for the most commonly reported maintenance issues. You may find an easy fix for your issue with no waiting for a
maintenance person to visit.
How to Get Rid of Stinkbugs (or Shield Bugs)
- Stink bugs can damage plants, fruits and crops
- Stink bugs look for warm places to escape chilly winter months - including your home
- While they do not pose a threat to the structure of a home, no one wants them inside
- Sealing or caulking the various crevices in your home can keep them out and seal in the heat
- Check this link for more information and tips to keep the pests away from your home: https://pests.org/get-rid-of-stink-bugs/
- Make sure the emergency gas valve is turned on
- Check to be sure pilot light is lit
- If you are not able to get the pilot light lit after viewing this video, contact PropM and we will have an experienced vendor assist you
- Mold can grow most anywhere that spores land and find moisture and a comfortable temperature
- Mold is typically found indoors at levels that do not affect most healthy individuals
- Almost every home gets some type of mold - the trick is toclean it up before it spreads
- The most visible type is mildew, which begins as tiny black spots. This is the stuff you see in grout lines in your
shower, on damp window casings, etc.
- Check out this terrific site for more information on mold and how to clean it up: http://www.treatitlikedirt.com/
Hot Weather Hacks to Keep Cool
- Place a heaping bowl of ice or frozen water bottles in front of a fan
- Only use Linen sheets - leave the bed unmade as bedspreads trap heat
- Eat spicy foods - they will make you sweat which is your body's way of cooling
- Take warm bath or shower - this triggers your body to naturally 'cool off'
- Cool pulse points - wear wrist bands and bandana around your neck dunked in ice water - keeping these areas chilled will
cool your entire body
- Stay hydrated - drink lots of cool water
- Stick your bed linens in the freezer for a few hours before bed each night
- Soak a t-shirt in ice water, ring it out and wear to bed...wet your hair too
10 Things to Never Flush Down the Toilet!
- Floss - not bio-degradable
- Grease, Oil & Fat - like heart disease, these will decrease the flow of pipes over time
- Band-aids - these are plastic and not bio-degradable
- Medications - contaminates the water supply
- Disposable Wipes - EVEN if they say you can, Don't!
- Paper Towels - these do not break down like toilet paper
- Feminine Hygiene Products - including cotton pads and swabs
- Cat Litter
How to Shut Off Water to your Toilet in an Emergency
- Look for the valve which is located to the LEFT behind your toilet tank
- Turn the knob to the RIGHT (clockwise) to close the valve and stop water flow
How to Shut Off Water Supply to a Sink Faucet
- Turn off water from faucet if possible
- Locate water lines below sink which lead to water valves
- Turn water valves to the RIGHT (clockwise) to stop the water flow
How Fix Your Air Conditioner - Troubleshooting Tips
- Check the Filter! Change often (at least every three months) 95% of all service calls are due to dirty air filters
- Check thermostat setting - set Fan to "auto", set system to "Cool"
- Check air handler/furnace - you should hear it "rumbling", if not, check to make sure it is plugged in and switched on
- Check circuit breaker - make sure it is not 'tripped'
- Check to be sure the drain line is not clogged
- Check the fan unit outside - is the fan spinning and clear of leaves and branches?
Fixing a Garbage Disposal That Has Stopped Working
- Make sure the power is OFF. Safety First!
- Insert the special wrench into the bottom of the disposal and start turning it back and forth until the jam frees up.
- If necessary, reach into the disposal to retrieve or remove objects causing a jam.
- Press reset button (also located on the bottom of the disposal).
- Turn Power back ON.
How to Change an Air Conditioner Filter
- Locate the air-intake grill that holds the filter.
- Open grill, remove old filter.
- Replace with new one - IMPORTANT: air flow arrow on filter to point in the direction air is traveling (being "sucked" to).
- Check filter monthly. A good habit is to check the filter each month when making your rent payment.
- A clean filter will ensure your A/C is running smoothly and keep electric costs to a minimum.
Why You Should NEVER Pour Grease Down the Drain
- Collect liquid grease to be recycled
- Wipe pans clean with a paper towel
- Rinse pans with cold water
- Food scraps go in garbage, NOT the garbage disposal
How to Clean Tough Grout Stains
- Believe it or not...use toilet bowl cleaner!
- Be sure to use gloves to protect your skin.
- Apply a thin line along the grout lines and let sit a few minutes.
- Wipe away with a damp cloth - then clean floor in the usual way.
How To Clean Stainless Steel Appliances
- The secret is out....Coconut Oil!
- Purchase inexpensive coconut oil (around $10 for a good sized jar)
- Apply a small amount to a dry cloth or paper towel
- Using a circular motion, rub the oil onto the Stainless Steel making sure to cover entire surface
- If done correctly, stains and fingerprints should be gone and your kitchen should be left smelling like a Pina Colada!
How to Hang Artwork and Hooks without Damaging Walls
- 3M Command products!
- You can hang small to large items using these terrific hooks and hangers
- They come in many sizes and styles and are available at hardware, grocery stores, Target or Walmart
- Check out the video to see how easy they are to use (and remove!)
How to Stop an Overflowing Toilet
- Remove toilet tank lid
- Lift up the fill valve (or float ball)
- Pull out the water tube
- Reach down and turn OFF the water valve (turn valve CLOCKWISE)
Circuit Breakers & GFI Outlets - Checking and Resetting
- Some outlets are know as GFIs located near wet areas of your home (i.e. kitchen and bathrooms)
- When power becomes overloaded they will 'trip' (stop working).
- Press reset button on them to power back on (usually small button in the center of the outlet plate)
- Still not working? Check other GFI outlets in the home and reset. If that does not work, find the breaker panel and check for flipped switches.
Flip back to "On" to restore power.
How to Clean Your Garbage Disposal
- Make sure your disposal is OFF - Safety First!
- Cut up some lemons and place into disposal OR
- Add some white vinegar frozen into cubes OR
- Add some baking soda OR Borax
- Feeling bold? Try adding them all together
- Run water, turn on disposal - One of these options should leave it smelling fresh and clean again.
How to Get Rid of Ants
- Locate ants - ant trail is best if you can find one
- Place small drops of Terro strategically in path of ants
- Watch ants feed... and eventually die and disappear
- Repeat above steps as needed
How to Get Stains Our of Carpet
- Blot the stain with a clean towel
- Beat an egg yolk with water, dab the solution over the stain
- Voila! The stain should lift right out.
How to Clean Your Dishwasher with Vinegar & Baking Soda
- Open detergent lid
- Add vinegar to compartment that seals, baking soda to compartment that does not
- Close compartment door and choose normal cycle, start the dishwasher
- Perform once a month
How to Clean Your Oven Without Chemicals -- Use Baking Powder!
- Mix baking powder with water
- Add enough water so mixture becomes paste-like
- Spread powder paste in oven
- Turn oven on for 5 minutes - then turn off
- Wipe oven clean
How to Lubricate Locks Using Graphite Powder
- Shake graphite tube gently to loosen powder
- Place point of tube into lock and gently squeeze the tube in a "puffing" motion
- Take your key and run it in and out of the lock to evenly distribute the graphite powder
How to Change the Water Filter in Your Refrigerator
- Slow water flow from your fridge? Try changing the water filter
- Filter should be changed every 6 months
- Each fridge will have its own unique filter system - you can find details for each in the manual or by searching online
- Locate the filter, twist to the left to remove, twist right to install
- Some may have a push button system
- Reset the filter button to reflect a new filter has been installed
Why is your Gas Range "Clicking" and won't start?
- Wet burners are usually why a gas stove top will not light
- When cleaning, avoid using too much water that will make the burners wet
- Try to clean using a damp cloth only
- To dry out, turn oven on to 350 degrees for 30 minutes
How to Check Your Toilet for a Silent Leak
- Check for sounds of running water, trickling or hissing sounds
- Add 25 drops of food coloring to inside of toilet tank
- Wait 15 minutes...if no dye shows up in toilet bowl, no leak exists
- If dye appears in bowl, toilet is in need of repair. Please log a maintenance request through your tenant portal
How to Clean Granite Countertops
- Place a few drops of liquid dish soap on a damp cloth, use hot water
- Use circular motion and apply to counters
- To disinfect: fill a spray bottle with half water and half isopropyl alcohol
- Spray counters, WAIT 5 minutes before wiping off with dry cloth (this ensures all bacteria is killed)
- Granite counter not smooth? Use a razor blade to scrape where necessary
How to Clean a Quartz Countertop
- Apply a few small drops of Soft Scrub to countertop area to be cleaned
- Using a soft cloth, begin rubbing product into the countertop using a circular motion
- Once applied, use a separate, damp cloth in same circular motion to remove product
- Counter should then be clean, shiny and smooth
How to Get Your Key Unstuck from a Deadbolt
- First, realign key so it is in a vertical position (12 o'clock)
- Apply light pressure to smaller disc around the key (called a plug)
- Pull and remove the key from the lock
How to Stop the "Chirp" on a Smoke Detector
- Disconnect the smoke detector by twisting counter-clockwise
- Replace the battery with a new one (this will most likely stop the chirping)
- If it is still chirping, remove the battery and hold down the test button for 15 seconds to drain any remaining charge
- Insert the new battery and reattach to the wall/ceiling
How to Troubleshoot Low Water Pressure
How to Prevent Condensation/Sweating on Windows
- Condensation is caused by high humidity in your home
- Run vent fans in bathrooms when showering to prevent condensation
- Turn off vent fans in the kitchen when cooking
- In extreme situations you may need to install a dehumidifier in your home
Furnace Not Blowing Hot Air
- Thermostat Issues
- Filter Issues
- Issues with the High Limit switch
- Condensate Line is plugged
- Problems at the Source
- Outside Air in the Mix
- Pilot Light Issues
- Gas Valve Issues
- Burner Issues
- Flame Sensor Issues.