Spring is here and that means you may start seeing some pests such as ants invading your home.
The best way to deter ants is to remove attractants. Keep your counters free of crumbs and sticky spots. Do not leave standing water in the sinks and fix any leaky faucets.
If you do find ants, try a few of these suggestions:
- Keep a small spray bottle with soapy water handy and spray the ants.
- Set out cucumber peels or slices near the ant’s point of entry. They have a natural aversion to cucumber.
- Dry crushed mint leaves, cloves or mint tea bags left near the area where the ants are most active will help deter the invaders.
- Follow the ants to the point of entry. Create a small line of any of the following (ants will not cross the line): cayenne pepper, citrus oil, lemon juice, cinnamon or coffee grounds
- Ants on your deck? A few cut up garlic cloves between the boards will help.
- Mix 1 liter of water with 1 teaspoon of Borax and one cup of sugar. Take cotton balls soaked in the solution and put in small plastic container with holes in the lid to allow ant access. Ants will carry this bait to their colony where it will kill the others. ***this is for indoor use only; must be kept away from pets and children***
Check back later for more tips on pest control.