Holiday Safety Tips for Home
The holiday season is here and PropM would like to provide you with a few tips to help ensure that you and your family have a safe and happy celebration.
While candles can add a cozy touch to your home, they should be used with caution:
- Make sure candles are firmly secured in sturdy, non-combustible holders
- Keep them well away from flammable items such as curtains, decorations and Christmas trees
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets
- Never leave lit candles unattended
Lights can present a fire hazard and also pose the risk of electric shock:
- Use only UL approved lights to be sure they conform to safety standards
- Check lights for any damaged bulbs, wires, or plugs and discard if damaged
- Always unplug the lights when replacing bulbs
- Check extension cords are rated for the amount of load they will carry (cords and wires should not be warm to the touch)
- Do not run cords under rugs or across open floors or doorways
- Be sure any lighting to be used outdoors is recommended for outdoor use.
- Avoid using metal fasteners to attach lights; use plastic clips, hooks or insulated cable staples available at your local hardware store or home center
- Turn off all lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Do not link more than 3 strands of lights unless instructions indicate it is safe to do so.
If you use a natural tree as part of your decorations, consider these guidelines:
- Select a fresh tree. The needles should adhere to the branch and be flexible, not brittle
- Cut an inch or two from the bottom before placing in the stand to allow water to soak into the tree
- Be sure to water daily to prevent the tree from drying out
- Place the tree away from heaters, fireplaces or other heat sources