With Spring thaw and continued rains, it is important to take steps to protect your home from water damage.
- Fix any leaks immediately – Roof leaks and cracks in the foundation can allow water in the home and weaken the structure and allow mold to grow.
- Extra protection for your roof – if you are replacing your roof spend a few extra dollars to install rubber underlayment which can protect from water intrusion.
- Seal foundation cracks – either masonry caulk or hydraulic cement will expand to fill gaps completely.
- Keep gutters and drains clear – they are designed to carry water away from your home. Make sure downspouts are directing water away from your home, versus dumping water near the foundation. Also, check storm drains near your home to be sure they are not blocked.
- Prevent sewer backup – Sewer and septic line check valves can be installed which will allow waste to flow only one way and ensure that sewage cannot back up into your home.
- Install French drains – This will collect water in the yard divert away from your house. A good option for homes built on a slope or that have persistently wet basements/soggy lawns.